Sunday, February 22, 2009

Using the Short Stack Strategy

Awhile ago, one of the members of the league sent me an email for a new site that specializes in using a different strategy...Short Stack. Basically, what it does is teaches you an alternative way to build a bankroll online with minimal investment. At the time, I reviewed it very quickly, but dismissed it as being one of the many bogus things you see online these days, but recently I got to thinking that I need something to get my bankroll back up to where I want it to be. I haven't reloaded anything online in about two years, and although I am glad to say that I haven't had to reload, what I got left with is very low capital on a couple of sites, and because of it, I was almost afraid to play with it at all, because I didn't want to go broke, and I wasn't fussy on having to reload, namely because I can't afford to. I remembered the site the guy sent me, and decided what the hell, especially if I pass their little test, I get a $50 free bankroll to start with from them. Really, I couldn't go wrong, it was a win/win if it wrong, and I would be out nothing. So I read the introduction and passed their little test, downloaded a new software platform, and have started playing it.

I wish I had done this when I first got the invite.

The site itself is not what I had originally thought it would be at all. There is a TON of great information on it including coaching videos, tutorials, and a forum to ask questions and review, and the people are truly helpful. Their goal is to TEACH YOU, the new player, the way to build a bankroll, manage it, and by doing so, have fun and make profit. Its been a great resource for me recently, and I'm on it a lot more than some of the other forums I've been on for a lot longer time as I am very keen in the information it has and the people running it are very helpful. They truly do want to make you a better player and help build your bankroll from the ground up.

The strategy itself is simple. You start on a table with a very small stack (20bb's) and if you build it on the table to 25bb's you leave the table. If you fall to 15bb's you reload back up to 20bb's only and continue playing. They offer you a starting hand chart to use, and if you use it religiously and follow it to the letter, you will come out ahead in the long run. Sure you're going to have those times when you can't win, but they really stress the long term goals and to stay focused on them instead of the short term swings. I've only started this new system this week, and its already making me a better cash game player, and I'm excited to continue with it over the next three months in order to clear my bonus and move up. The number one thing this site tries to teach is proper bankroll management and not to over extend yourself. Alot of other sites talk about it, but this is by far the best site that really explains it in great detail. My goal is to continue playing this way until I clear my bonuses on the new site, and see how my bankroll survives using this and ONLY this strategy to the letter. I'm starting very low because the free $50 is only enough to play the lowest limits, and its what they suggest as well, in order to play the proper way with the strategy and using their guidelines. I'm excited about this, and will dedicate myself on this one site for the next while.

Its not the easy though at first, mostly because the starting hand chart they offer is very very restrictive, and its like teaching an old dog (me) a new trick. Its so tempting to play the way I always have and forget the guidelines of the new system, but I'm making it happen. I'm forcing myself to play by their rules, and its more difficult than I first thought it would be. But I want my long term goal of building a bankroll properly to come to realization and I believe this will do it for me. Once I do that and clear the bonuses on this new site, I'm going to use the system on the other platforms I usually play on and do the same thing with those accounts until I have a nice new bankroll to rely on. After that, its bankroll management all the way.

If you're reading this blog, and want a link or more info, simple post a comment here and I'll send you the details. I'm offering this because if you sign up using me as reference, I also qualify for the Tell a Friend bonus, and well, I'm a greedy SOB ;) Not sure if it caters to Americans though, but anyone else is welcome to try it. I would be very appreciative if you do use my link, that you also tell them I sent you for the Tell a Friend bonus. Then you can also use it to spread the work and build up your own rolls.

You can be sure I'm going to be blogging about my successes, but I'm also going to blogging about all the issues and problems I may or may not have, as well as any failures I experience using this system. Stay tuned.

In other news...Mom's b'day with this past week. She sounds good, but I can tell she's getting tired. Dad is doing okay, but the limits he is under is preventing him from doing his share of the day to day stuff and Mom is doing her best to pick up the slack, and its starting to wear on her. I worry of course, but there's not much I can do right now. I will have to plan a trip up to see them very soon.

That's about it for now. See you in a week or so.

No comments: