Saturday, November 29, 2008

Tough Job Market

So far this month alone, I've had several job interviews, and all have faded on me. Three out west that are on hold due to recent economic conditions, one local that I actually told them during the interview that I wasn't what they were looking for (and they agreed eventually), and this week, one in Toronto that sounds interesting and challenging, but you could sense the tension the second you walked in the door. Met with the Materials Manager, but only for like five minutes as he had to deal with a conference call, then the HR woman, who did everything in her power to disinterest me. I suspect they have an internal candidate for the position, but we'll see. If I get a call back, I'm still going to do my best to nail it. I have got to get out of where I am now.

So far this year, I've taken a minimum 30% hit in pay. Had the car allowance taken away, and put on a four day work week. Back to five days now, but to tell you the truth, I have no idea for how long. I believe its only because of year end, and they need me to do the inventory, and chances are good we'll be back to four days by the holidays. Its a daily struggle to get materials in the door to start new work, and since my plans go out for a year or longer, I see the impact long before it hits the books. If we can't start jobs NOW, we'll never finish them on time to meet delivery targets next summer/fall. Can't seem to convince the one guy who needs to be convinced though, he is only looking out three months at best (used to only me one month, so that was a small victory I guess). I guess the financial picture of the company is pretty dim. That's what happens when you sign long term agreements with a customer that lock us in at a price that doesn't considering inflation and supply issues.

So I'm still looking else. Doubt anything will come of it until the new year though, isn't the best time for job hunting. But I have to move on. I'm going nowhere where I am now, and there isn't a future for me. Hasn't been for quite a long time, but having Leo getting promoted OVER me was the nail in the coffin about my future here. Time to move on.

Poker game...nothing much to report here. My weekly game has been very problematic...can't seem to get anything going in it. Best hand I had this week was pocket 9's, and raised preflop to have everyone fold to me. Never saw a higher pair, never saw painted connectors, and the only time I saw an ace was with crap kicker cards. Been a harsh season this time...chumped out 3 or 4 times. Just can't seem to get rolling anymore.

The only difference between being in a rut and being in a grave...is the depth of the hole.

No comments: